Chocolate banana bread with chocolate chips and hints of orange zest, then drizzled with an orange glaze. This Chocolate Orange Banana Bread is a unique, delicious, sweet bread!
Last month my parents came to visit, and I asked them what type of cake they would like for me to make while they were here. My dad said a chocolate-orange cake.
I immediately thought of those delicious chocolate orange candies you can find in stores around Christmas. Those things are my jam. I LOVE them.
So, I wanted to make a cake that tasted like those “oranges.” I did, it was delicious, and I’ll be sharing that recipe soon. But that cake got me so hooked on chocolate orange flavor, that I wanted to make other chocolate orange goodies.
Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
Every week I asked my kids what type of fruit they would like me to get from the grocery store. They give me a long list of things, most of which they don’t end up finishing. So, overripe bananas are a common find in my house.
My son actually gets excited when he sees the bananas turning brown, because he knows there will be some sort of sweet treat coming soon.
During my chocolate orange craving attack, I had brown bananas, so the clear answer was to make them into chocolate orange banana bread.
I do not measure the exact amount of banana in this and similar recipes as I have found that so long as I’m using a medium to large banana, it doesn’t make a big difference in how the the bread turns out.
When it comes to chocolate bread, everyone has a different level of chocolate preference. I want as much chocolate as possible while my husband prefers a more subtle “hint” of chocolate.
For this bread I used 2 tablespoons of dark cocoa powder. This adds a rich chocolate taste, without being overpowering. You can change it up though!
- If you are using dark cocoa powder, but want a more chocolaty taste, substitute 2-3 tablespoons of the all purpose flour with dark cocoa powder.
- If you only have regular cocoa powder, then use 1/4 cup regular cocoa powder and 1 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour.
- If you are using regular cocoa powder, and want a more chocolaty taste, substitute 2-4 tablespoons of the all purpose flour with regular cocoa powder.
This finished product gets its orange flavor from orange juice and zest in both the bread and an orange icing.
Fresh is Best!
For both the zest and the juice, I highly recommend that you use freshly squeezed juice (I actually use my lemon juicer to squeeze the orange), and fresh orange zest (not the dried, bottle kind). Fresh has a much brighter, sweeter taste.
I love the taste of dark chocolate with orange, so I used dark chocolate chips for this bread. BUT, semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips also work, so go with your favorite!
This Chocolate Orange Banana Bread is a unique, delicious, and easy to make treat!
Chocolate Orange Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium sized bananas crushed
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- zest of 1 medium orange
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder*
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use butter or cooking spray to grease the inside of a large (9″ x 5″) loaf pan.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until lightened, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides as needed.
- On low speed, mix in crushed bananas until well combined. Then, mix in orange juice and orange zest.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Gradually beat into banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 53-58 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of bread comes out with just a few crumbs. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before glazing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, orange juice and orange zest (start with 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and increase if desired). Pour over top of bread before serving.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Chocolate Orange Banana Bread, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Caramel Banana Bread
Orange Cinnamon Rolls
Orange Cranberry Biscotti
Toasted Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread
Links to items used to make this recipe:
I could eat an entire loaf of this bread in one sitting! Easy to make but hard to resist!
Glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you so much for sharing!