Sweet coconut cookies topped with semi-sweet chocolate. These Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are a quick, easy, and tasty treat!
12 Days of Holiday Treats: Day 3
Today is Day 3 of SugarSpicesLife 12 Days of Holiday Treats! If you haven’t checked out the other recipes, make sure that you do! At the end of the series I’ll post a summary with links to all of them as well as my prior years’ holiday treat recipes.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
This treat was actually a last minute add-on for this year. The recipes that I post are for treats that I’m giving away as gifts. I divide up the goodies into multiple boxes to give away to family and friends each year.
One of my dear friends doesn’t eat gluten. When sorting out treats, I realized that almost all of them use flour. So, I decided to add a gluten free treat, which is how I ended up with these Chocolate Coconut Macaroons.
Easy Peasy Macaroons
Macaroons are pretty easy to make, and tough to screw up. I experimented with different combinations of egg whites, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk. And honestly, they were all good.
The recipe I’m sharing uses ratios that I feel make for the tastiest and most aesthetically pleasing macaroon!
I tried two, three and four egg white versions of this recipe. Two is the magic number. With more egg whites, the macaroons actually started to spread out and melt a bit.
For the best results, chill your macaroon mixture before baking. Chilling helps to keep their shape rounded and beautiful!
I made these macaroons dipped in each dark, semi-sweet, and milk chocolates. I’ll be honest, you can’t go wrong. They were all delicious.
But, my family and I are in agreement that milk chocolate is the best. I was worried that it might be too sweet. (**Editor’s note: this is really ridiculous. Christine has never once in the decade that I’ve known her said anything was “too sweet”) It isn’t – the more mild flavor of milk chocolate is better suited to pair with the coconut.
If you want to switch things up though, go for it! Maybe make a variety to choose from!
These Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are a quick and easy treat that will disappear as quickly as you make them!
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 14 ounce bag sweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted then cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract until well combined.
- Stir in coconut flakes until well incorporated.
- Use electric mixer with whisk attachment to beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into coconut mixture until just combined. Refrigerate mixture for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Use two spoons or a cookie dough scoop to form coconut mixture into ~1 tablespoon sized mounds. Place mounds at least 1 inch apart on prepared baking mat.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Turn baking sheet around in oven and bake for an addition 8-10 minutes, or until tops of mounds are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before finishing with chocolate.
- Set out wax paper or parchment paper on a working surface.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave on 50% power, in 30 second increments. Stir well after each interval and repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip bottoms of cooled macaroons into melted chocolate. Shake off excess chocolate and place dipped macaroon on parchment paper. You may also drizzle melted chocolate over the tops of the macaroons. Let sit at room temperature until chocolate has firmed, about 1 hour.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Chocolate Coconut Macaroons, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: