Graham cracker crust topped with toasted coconut, fresh lime zest, and chocolate chips. These Chocolate Coconut Lime Bars are a fun twist on seven layer bars.
Christmas Goodie Boxes
Every Christmas I spend a few days baking treats. I try to make ten to twelve treats, including cookies, candy and dessert bars. I wrap them up, place them in boxes, and give them as gifts. It’s hands down one of my favorite things to do.
I have been doing this Christmas goodie box routine since college. So we’re talking about 17 years now. Gosh that seems like a long time ago. Anyhow, I change up the goodie box contents each year, but there are a few treats that have made it in repeatedly. One such treat is my mom’s recipe for seven layer, or magic cookie bars.
Seven Layer Bars
This past Christmas when I was thinking about what to include in my goodie boxes, I wanted to switch up the seven layer bars. I liked the idea of a cookie bar, but wanted to do something different with it. After some thought, I decided that chocolate coconut lime bars were the way to go. All the flavors go together and it’s a unique, different treat – especially around the holidays.
My new bars were a success! I photographed them, put them in the boxes, and was happy as a clam. Then, I went to type up the recipe and realized I hadn’t written it down. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember what I had done. No fear though, I did it all again, and was not sad about it.
Chocolate Coconut Lime Bars
These Chocolate Coconut Lime Bars are a unique, fun cookie bar. They’re great any time of the year. Throw them in a Christmas goodie box for a sweet treat, or serve them at a summer cookout. They’re easy to make, but here are a few tips:
- You can use regular lime juice or key lime juice for the sauce. I prefer key lime juice as it has a nice tang, but either will work well.
- If you do not like or have pecans, you can use other chopped nuts such as walnuts, pistachios, or almonds. Or even do a combination!
- I recommend that you stick with the semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips. If you use milk chocolate chips, it’s a little too sweet.
Chocolate Coconut Lime Bars
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tbsp key lime juice
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- zest 1 large lime
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Fold so that sides are covered as well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in graham cracker crumbs until well mixed. Evenly spread crumb mixture over bottom of pan, then use palm of your hands to pack it down.
- Evenly sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate chips over graham cracker crust. Repeat with dark chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- In a small bowl stir together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Drizzle evenly over chocolates and nuts.
- Next, in a small bowl, stir together coconut and lime zest. Evenly sprinkle over condensed milk. Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until coconut begins to turn golden brown. Let cool in pan before removing and cutting into bars.
As my grocery store does not regularly carry key limes, I used the zest of a standard lime.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Chocolate Coconut Lime Bars, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Toasted Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread
Brown Butter Mud Hen Bars
Instant Pot Key Lime Pie
Triple Chocolate Cookies
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Links to items used to make this recipe: