Graham cracker crust topped with a chocolate ice cream pudding and finished with marshmallow spread. This S’mores Refrigerator Dessert is sure to be a hit!
Hi Ho Refrigerator Dessert
I have talked about my high school and college BFF in a few posts, including Emily’s Baked Ziti. Emily and her mama have been a source for a lot of great recipes!
In college Emily used to make a dessert called Hi Ho Refrigerator Dessert. It had a Ritz cracker crust topped with butterscotch pudding and ice cream, and it finished with whipped cream. It was/is one of my favorite desserts!
Recently I wondered what “Hi Ho” meant, so I googled to see if there were other desserts with this name. Nothing. So, I did what I should have done first, and asked Emily. Apparently there used to be Hi Ho crackers similar to Ritz crackers. So, there you go.
Ice Cream and Pudding Desserts
A few years back I started playing with this recipe and changing it up a bit. For the fall I’d make a pumpkin version and one summer I made a peanut butter chocolate version. They were all hits.
This summer I wanted to make a S’mores version. For the base, I did graham crackers with butter. Obviously Ritz crackers don’t make sense in a S’more.
Next I mixed chocolate ice cream and vanilla pudding. I have tried vanilla ice cream with chocolate pudding before, and I prefer the tastes the other way around. Feel free to play with these combinations on your own.
Finally, I mixed together marshmallow spread and whipped cream for the top. That stuff is good enough to frost a cake.
S’mores Refrigerator Dessert
This S’mores Refrigerator Dessert does not require any baking, so it’s great to make with kids. But, I promise it will be a hit. Something about that mix of ice cream and pudding is addictive. Here are a few tips for success:
- You taste the ice cream and pudding, so I do not recommend using store brand varieties unless you know you really like them. I used Breyers Extra Creamy Chocolate ice cream and JELL-O Instant French Vanilla Pudding.
- I also believe brand matters for the whipped topping. Cool Whip is my favorite.
- This dessert does not melt when left out for a couple of hours, so it’s great to serve at a party.
S’mores Refrigerator Dessert
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1.5 quart container chocolate ice cream softened (should be consistency of a milk shake, meaning it can be stirred, but is not completely melted)
- 2 3.4 ounce boxes instant vanilla pudding mix
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 graham cracker squares
- In a small bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9×13 dish.
- Using a mixer with whisk attachment on medium-low speed, beat ice cream and pudding mix until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Pour ice cream mixture over graham cracker crumbs.
- Again, using a mixer with whisk attachment on medium-low speed, beat whipped topping, marshmallow creme, and vanilla extract until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Spread evenly over ice cream mixture.
- Break graham cracker squares into small pieces and sprinkle over top of dessert. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this S’mores Refrigerator Dessert, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
S’mores Skillet Brownie
Strawberry Custard Ice Cream
Caramelized Banana Pudding
Links to items used to make this recipe: