Vanilla cream in a puff pastry crust, finished with a chocolate glaze. These Chocolate Eclair Puffs are decadent, individually sized dessert treats!
My favorite way to show someone I love them is to make them a dessert. Especially my family. There are often multiple things to celebrate at once – birthdays, anniversaries, visits, etc. So, I have a need to make multiple desserts.
Although I adore cake, I realize that more than one cake for dessert is a little over the top for many people. Therefore, to appease my loved ones who want smaller, non-cake desserts, I’ll try to incorporate another dessert option.
Small, individual desserts are usually a hit. First, they’re usually a little smaller and lighter than cakes, and second, they’re generally easy for people to take with them.
SugarSpicesLife Favorite Individual Desserts:
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Raspberry Almond Bars
Lemon Butter Bars
Mini Fruit Pizza
Chocolate Eclair Puffs
For this recipe, I used purchased frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm® Frozen Sheets Pastry Dough).
First, let two sheets of puff pastry thaw. Then, cut each of the sheets into 24 equal sized squares.
Next, spray 48 mini muffin tins with cooking spray (if you have a pan with less than 48 mini muffin cups, you can simply bake the puffs in batches). After this, press a square of the cut puff pastry into each cup so that the dough covers the sides and bottom of each cup.
Bake the puffs at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown, about 13 to 14 minutes. After removing puffs from the oven, immediately use the handle of a wooden spoon, or something similar sized that is round, to press down the center of the puffs. Alternatively, you can use your thumb, but if you do this, let them cool for a few minutes so that you do not burn yourself.
Let the puffs cool completely before filling them.
Each puff is filled with a decadent, vanilla cream. To make this you’ll use homemade whipped cream.
Homemade Whipped Cream
I start with my go-to homemade whipped cream recipe:
- Place mixing bowl and mixer whisk attachment in freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of whipping cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar into mixing bowl.
- Beat mixture on high speed until still peaks form.
Easy peasy but so light and delicious!
The pudding part of this recipe could not be any easier. Simply whisk a 3.4 ounce box of instant vanilla pudding with two cups of cold mild and let the pudding firm for 5 minutes. Sound familiar? That’s because it’s written on every box of pudding.
After the whipped cream and pudding have been made, fold the whipped cream into the pudding. Then, fill each of the cooled puffs with the mixture. You will likely not use all of the cream. Save the extra for a graham cracker or fruit dip!
Each puff is finished with a delicious chocolate ganache. To make this, you’ll heat 1/4 cup of whipping cream until boiling. I do this by placing the cream in a heat safe bowl and microwaving it on high for about 1 minute.
Then, pour the cream over 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips. Let the mixture sit for several minutes, then whisk it together until smooth.
Finally, drizzle the chocolate over each of the puffs as desired.
These Chocolate Eclair Puffs are quick and easy to put together, but will be sure to impress at dessert time!
Chocolate Eclair Puffs
- 1 17.3 ounce box frozen puff pastry 2 sheets, thawed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 48 mini muffin cups with baking spray.
- Cut each sheet into 24 equally sized squares.
- Press each square into a muffin cup covering the sides and bottom with the dough. Bake until golden brown, about 13-14 minutes.
- Remove pastries from oven. Use back of a wooden spoon to press the center of each pastry down. Or, let the pastries cool for a few minutes and press down the center of the pastry with your thumb.
- Place mixing bowl and whisk attachment for electric mixer in freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Add whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Use whisk to mix together vanilla pudding and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fold whipped cream into pudding. Fill each pastry with cream. You will not use all of the filling.
- Place whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave on high heat until boiling, about 1 minute. Pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle chocolate over tops of pastries as desired.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Chocolate Eclair Puffs, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Chocolate Strawberry Creme Brûlée
Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caramelized Banana Pudding
[…] Chocolate Eclair Puffs by Sugar Spices Life […]