Made with browned butter and lots of chocolate chips, these Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies, are soft, thick, and addictively tasty!
It is not easy to name a recipe. I want to give my recipes names that draw attention, describe the food, and are not controversial. That is a lot easier said than done.
For example, I really wanted to name these cookies, “World’s Best Cookies”, or “Your New Favorite Cookie.” But I can already imagine the comments I would receive ….. “These shouldn’t even be called cookies.” “These are terrible. You are terrible.” “My grandmother has the best cookie recipe so stop lying.”
So, with that said, I decided to name this recipe, “Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies”, because they are my favorite and my family’s favorite. I hope they will be your favorite too.
Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
Step 1: Brown the Butter
Brown butter has a distinctive, caramel-like taste that I adore in baked goods. Especially cookies. If you haven’t tried it before, now is your time.
Melt the butter over medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter melts, turns amber in color, and has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and let reharden to the consistency of softened butter.
Step 2: Creaming
Once the butter has hardened to the consistency of softened butter, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar, and light brown sugar until lightened and fluffy.
Step 3: Mixing
Next, beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
Step 4: Whisking
Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Then, slowly mix it into the butter and sugar mixture.
Step 5: Chocolate
Finally, stir in your favorite chocolate chips. But set aside a few tablespoons to place on the top of the cookie dough balls.
Dough and Baking
No Chilling Needed
You do NOT need to chill the dough. The dough should be cool, meaning you shouldn’t let it sit out for any extended period of time before using it, but you do not need the dough to be cold.
I experimented with refrigerating the dough, and found that I prefered the cookies which I had NOT refrigerated before baking.
Form the dough into balls that are about 1 1/2 tablespoons in size. Once you have formed the balls, place a few chocolate chips into the top of each (this allows for the top of the cookies to have shiny, pretty chips after baking).
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats, and bake the cookies for 7 to 8 minutes. The cookies should be a light golden brown.
Let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
These Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, thick, and full of chocolate chips. Made with browned butter, they’re sure to be a hit!
Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar gently packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chip cookies
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir constantly until butter turns amber in color and has a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature (you can place the butter in refrigerator if desired). Butter should be firmed to the point that is no longer liquid, but is soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Use electric mixer to beat the soft browned butter, sugar, and brown sugar until lightened and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract until combined, scraping down sides as needed.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Gradually mix into butter/sugar mixture until just combined (do not overmix).
- Stir in all but ~3 tablespoons of the chocolate chips.
- Form dough into balls about 1 1/2 tablespoons in size. Place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press a few of the remaining chocolate chips into the top of each dough ball.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: