Dairy Free Instant Pot Yogurt. Thick, creamy, delicious coconut cream yogurt made in your Instant Pot. It’s easily made with only four ingredients!
I have never been so excited to share a recipe with you! That’s mostly because it’s never taken me this long to get a recipe to a point where I’m satisfied. I have probably made variations of this recipe about ten times to get it to where it is. I have eaten a lot of yogurt, and had ample opportunity to experiment with yogurt photography.
A couple of months ago I made Instant Pot Yogurt, and fell in love. It was creamy and delicious! My belly does not always do well with dairy though, so I’ve been cutting dairy back as much as I can. I bought several dairy-free yogurts at the grocery store, and they were fine, but I wanted to make a better version.
I started off using canned coconut milk, a few tablespoons of coconut milk yogurt, and honey. That didn’t work, so I tried a half cup of coconut milk yogurt. That didn’t work either, so I changed from honey to maple syrup, thinking that maybe the honey was killing the cultures. It was a good thought, but didn’t work. Next I tried coconut cream, it turned out thicker, but still not what I wanted. So, I tried soy yogurt, but again, no. Then, I got a new probiotic and thought, “I wonder if I put this in if it would work?” Bingo. It did.
The first time I made the yogurt with probiotics and coconut cream, I didn’t care for the taste. I found myself adding handfuls of granola to drown out the probiotic taste, so I tried again and cut back the probiotic. It was better, but still wasn’t sweet enough for me. Then, there was a beautiful twist of fate … I stopped at a different grocery store to get coconut cream and purchased Coco Lopez cream of coconut. I didn’t realize at the time that it was a sweet coconut cream. I made the recipe with two cans of Coco Lopez. It was diabetes inducing sweet. I ate every last bite of it, and loved it, but knew I had to cut back on the sweetness. The next time I used one can of Coco Lopez and one can of coconut cream. It was good, but I wanted it sweeter. Apparently I was becoming a bit of a perfectionist on this dairy free yogurt journey. So, the final time I made it with two cans of Coco Lopez and one can coconut cream. PERFECTION. This dairy free Instant Pot yogurt was finally what I had dreamed!
Note: If you prefer less sweet yogurt, this works with one can of Coco Lopez, one can of coconut cream, two probiotics, and 1.5 teaspoons of gelatin.
Dairy Free Instant Pot Yogurt
- 1 13.3 ounce can Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream
- 2 15 ounce cans Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
- 3 probiotic capsules ~3/4 teaspoon once emptied
- 1 0.25 ounce packet gelatin
- Pour all three cans of coconut cream into Instant Pot. Seal lid and turn to yogurt boil setting. Once pot is done, use thermometer to ensure creams are 180 degrees. If they are not yet 180, use saute function to heat creams until it reaches 180.
- Remove inner pot from Instant Pot and let cool for about 1 hour, or until the temperature reduces to 100-110 degrees. At that time, very gradually and slowly, sprinkle gelatin over creams while constantly whisking. Next, very gradually and slowly sprinkle the contents of the probiotic capsules over the creams while constantly whisking.
- Return inner pot to base and seal with lid. Turn Instant Pot to yogurt setting for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, pour contents of pot to a heat safe bowl. It will be very liquid, do not worry, it will firm. Cover and place in refrigerator about 6-8 hours, overnight works well.
- After being in the fridge it will thicken to yogurt consistency. At that time you can eat it as is, or you can transfer it to the base of a stand mixer or large bowl, and beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes, or until the yogurt has turned more white in color and begins to form soft peaks. This is my preferred way to eat it as it has a light, creamy texture.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Dairy Free Instant Pot Yogurt, you will probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: